Spring is here indeed! As the glorious weather settles in, I am reminded of how simple and abundant life really is if we choose it to be. As a capitalist culture we are constantly striving to get more or better. More material things, more success, more free time. Better home, better job, better life. We focus so much on what we lack and the chase to attain what we believe we need to be happy — that we often miss out on the true blessings that are already available to us. The trick is to change the conversation in our minds to notice and savor the simple and ordinary joys of life available to us 24/7. For example:
• I need to walk to my 3 p.m. appointment vs. I am going to enjoy a lovely spring walk and notice the amazing city I live in!
• I need to make dinner vs. What yummy meal can I whip up for dinner that will nurture my body/ family (not to mention exercise my creative brain)?
• Ugh, I can’t believe how little I read these days vs. I am going to feed this brain tonight with something different through 30 minutes of reading and relaxation.
• I want new clothes vs. I am going to have more fun styling myself with clothes and accessories I already own!
• Have drinks with Lauren & Wendie this week vs. I am grateful to have friends to share my life with and that will be there for me if I need them.
As I say, aim and achieve high for your goals… just remember to savor the journey, knowing that what you already have is quite wonderful and abundant in its simplest form.
Kellie Martin on Happiness
Actress & Owner of Rompstore.com
Without a doubt, watching my child—just seeing her chase a grasshopper—brings me unbelievable joy. Cooking, yoga, walking through a museum, and listening to jazz bring me tons of joy.
Make the week of June 18 to 24th YOUR INSPIRATION WEEK. From yoga classes, beauty events, film screenings, inspiring panels to purposeful parties — #SHESUMMITWK will feature 20+ experiences designed to inspire you in different areas of your life! Full event details launching early May ~ save the date and sign up for early access now >>